As a student in the Flagship, your courses are designed to teach you not only language mechanics but cultural and regional variations as well. You must complete our core courses, through NELC-A450, to participate in the Capstone year. Optional advanced courses are available should you complete the core courses and your Capstone year with extra time remaining at IU.
- NELC A-100 Elementary Arabic I (5 credits)
- NELC A-150 Elementary Arabic II (5 credits)
- NELC A-200 Intermediate Arabic I (5 credits)
- NELC A-250 Intermediate Arabic II (5 credits)
- NELC A-300 Advanced Arabic I (4 credits)
- NELC A-350 Advanced Arabic II (4 credits)
- NELC A-400 Advanced Arabic III (4 credits)
- NELC A-450 Advanced Arabic IV: Contemporary Arabic Cinema (3 credits)
- NELC-N 312 Arabic Grammar (3 credits)
- NELC N-455 Advanced Media Arabic (4 credits)
- NELC N-465 Arab Women (4 credits)
- NELC N-475 Minorities in the Middle East (4 credits)
You will have the support of tutors and conversation partners to improve your language skills outside of class, along with a variety of activities to enhance your awareness of Middle Eastern cultures.
Students come to the program with varied levels of proficiency in Arabic and with diverse academic interests. For that reason, there are a variety of possible progressions through the program. Contact our advisor to determine the best path for you.